The climate crisis and an increasing focus on severe weather put MetDesk squarely in the middle of one of the most vibrant industries in the world. We are the UK’s largest private sector weather forecasting business. Specialising in the most timely, accurate and localised information to critical industrial and corporate markets, here is your opportunity to play a key role in one of the fastest growing commercial weather forecasting companies in the world.
We are looking for an experienced, highly motivated IT Manager to take control of the day to day running of MetDesk IT. You will be working alongside a range of other IT specialists, research scientists, commercial staff, and meteorologists.
The role will include managing team leaders in both Frontend and Advanced Python Development and ensuring the smooth running of the Support department.
You are expected to have a hands-on approach to leading the teams and will assist with coding. Reporting to and working closely with the IT Director, you will also be involved in prioritising and running important development projects. You will play a key role in shaping the future direction of MetDesk IT, ensuring it remains at the forefront of an ever changing industry.
- You will have a close working relationship with the IT Director and will be expected to help with a strategic overview on future direction.
- The state-of-the-art Frontend Team is growing quickly. The Frontend Manager will report directly to you and will be looking for guidance on project priorities and seamless integration with backend technology.
- MetDesk is growing a small talented backend team specialising in high end python development. You will help with the evolution of this team and directly manage the head of this newly formed department.
- You will also work closely with the Met R&D Team, helping to productise and integrate meteorological solutions provided by our research scientists.
- You will oversee the running of the 24-7 Support Team and be responsible for this team meeting key performance targets and providing the necessary technical support to the Sales and Forecasting departments.
- Work closely with the Infrastructure Manager, gaining expert knowledge of our network setup.
- Take ownership of existing core products, expand their functionality, fix issues, and provide guidance on solutions.
- Perform code reviews, provide feedback, and suggest improvements.
- Help design, develop, implement, and coordinate systems, IT procedures and policies.
- Responsibility for maintaining adherence to IT Policy and procedures, including periodic IT Audits.
- Be prepared to manage key projects and help your various teams meet project deadlines.
Essential skills and education
- Degree level or similar in Computer Science or Information Technology.
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in both IT operations and IT department management.
- Excellent database design skills.
- Experience coordinating installations, maintenance and upgrades.
- Experience in web application design, debugging and testing.
- Knowledge of architecture processes and operating system reports.
- Expert at understanding and directing code development.
- Be able to assess and recruit top candidates, train new IT staff, supervise and motivate team members for exceptional performance.
- Legal right to live and work full time in the UK.
Package & Location
- Salary commensurate with experience and competitive with SE England
- Company 5% matched pension scheme
- Company profit share scheme
- 33 days holiday (25 plus public holidays)
- Job Type: Full-time, permanent.
- Office Location: Wendover, Buckinghamshire. Remote working can be discussed.
Please send your CV with covering letter to email@example.com
MetDesk is an equal opportunities employer.