Senior Meteorological Research Scientist
We have a great opportunity in our Forecast Research and Development team for someone enthusiastic about weather with the necessary skills to improve and develop forecast products and in-house models. If you’re a scientist who loves the weather, this opportunity may be perfect for you.
MetDesk is the UK’s leading private sector weather forecasting business. We specialise in delivering client-specific weather information and support services to a diverse weather-critical client base. MetDesk is headquartered in the picturesque Chiltern town of Wendover, just 35 miles from London and benefiting from a regular direct train service to the capital. Due to ongoing expansion, MetDesk is seeking an experienced research and development scientist to join its expanding team. This is an exciting opportunity to become an important part of the fastest growing commercial weather forecasting company in Europe.
The successful candidate will work within our team of R&D scientists, meteorologists and developers, delivering bespoke products to clients/customers primarily in the global energy and transportation sectors, undertaking research projects across a wide range of meteorological areas, and developing new ideas and models to help improve our forecasting capabilities.
As a company operating in a number of fast-paced exciting markets, a proactive, professional and energetic approach is required, with a willingness to get involved in all aspects of the working environment.
Experience and skills required
- Higher degree Masters/PhD in meteorology, physics, mathematics or associated science
- At least 2 years of experience working in a research/development role
- Ability to plan and develop scientific research projects
- Experience developing products in python
- Ability to support and interact with scientific and technical colleagues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work and develop ideas independently
- UK/EU resident or valid UK work permit
- Good knowledge of weather models & ability to work with big data sets
- Experience in other programming languages, e.g. FORTRAN, NCL, R
- Experience with Grid/NetCDF
- Sound meteorological, climatological and geographical knowledge
- Experience in working with meteorological observations
- Understanding of MySQL & mongo
- Statistical programming skills including machine learning techniques
- Experience in energy and renewables
- Knowledge of UK/Europe weather and climate
Remuneration and benefits package will be attractive and commensurate with experience.
- Deadline for applications is Friday 22nd November 2019
- Please send your CV with covering letter in PDF or MS Word format to email@example.com
MetDesk is an equal opportunities employer.